Looking for New Windows in Your Decatur, IL Home? Pella has Tips to Help Make the Right Choice
When shopping for windows for your home improvement or new construction project, you most likely want to choose the best windows for your project and budget. As you evaluate your options, think about these facts:
- Windows can dramatically change the interior and exterior appearance of your Decatur area home.
- The type of windows you select can make a measureable difference in your home’s comfort level and energy costs.
- The construction of your windows can have a positive cost impact on the resale value of your Decatur area home if or when you decide to sell.
If you take the time to investigate the style and function options available, you will be happy with your purchase and love the pleasure of viewing the outside world through your new windows for many years.
What factors should you think about when purchasing replacement windows for your Decatur home?
- What do they look like? Remember that you are going to see your replacement windows most often from the interior of your house, not standing outside of it. Stand inside and study the view carefully; is the color, style and type of window suitable with your home’s interior? Is the window accessible for regular cleaning? Can light flow into the home? And remember to stand outside from many viewing positions to determine if the style of replacement window you are considering works with the architecture of your Decatur home.
- How energy efficient are the windows? Get the data relating to your windows that relate to their energy efficiency. Specifics to consider are U-values and Low-E insulating glass with argon windows, and weatherstripping. For instance, U-values identify the insulating value of windows. The best windows have low U-values to help keep out extreme temperatures. Identify your estimated energy savings beforehand to help reduce heating and cooling expenses and make the most of your investment.
- Is it convenient to operate the windows? Just like purchasing your vehicle, it is important to test operating any window before you buy it. Is it easy to open and close the window? Will the window be easy to clean? Can the window hardware (or the crank handle) fold away in order to leave window blinds or shades undisturbed? If the window will be an emergency exit in case of fire, confirm that it opens easily and provides an adequately-sized opening.
- What is the installation process? The installation of your windows is either included with the overall purchase price or requires an outside contractor. If you are using the services of contractor, it may be smart to inquire about installation price and included services prior to ordering your windows.
- How will you maintain your windows? The weather in the Decatur area can be unpredictable. Outdoor elements such as wind, rain and snow can impact the appearance of your windows. Consider low-maintenance options like aluminum cladding or in-between-the-glass grilles in order for you to easily clean your windows and allow them to look great for many years to come.
- What color and hardware options are available? The color you select can reflect your style and enhances the overall appeal of your Decatur home. Some manufacturers offer a small selection of exterior color choices. Figure out what color schemes are in place for the windows you may purchase. In addition, there are many window hardware options that should match with other hardware options in your home, such as cabinetry hardware, faucets and other fixtures.
- How much will you pay? The philosophy ”you get what you pay for” applies to many products, and windows are no exception. The lowest priced windows may not be your best buy. A quality window will be energy efficient and offer years of beauty and performance.
We encourage you to visit Pella at the Decatur area Showroom to learn more about your choices, or give us a call at 217-423-7722.