Know when its time for replacement windows and doors with a DIY window and door inspection in Decatur, IL
When it comes to homeownership, the list of to-do’s loads up from day one and never really goes away. One thing that never gets crossed off the list is routine home maintenance. While that’s awfully broad and all-encompassing, you need to make sure it includes an inspection of your windows and doors so you know when the time comes for replacement windows and doors.
Setting aside even 10-15 minutes to do a swift walk around your home to inspect your windows and doors can help give you insight into which rooms or areas of your home could need repair or maintenance and help you prioritize them.
So before you kickoff your research on replacement windows and doors, look over this checklist for your inspection.
- Check the finishes around your
windows and doors and see if you notice any flaking or
- Take a close look at the structure of your
windows and doors, making note any
cracking or deteriorating wood as well as any further
damage that can be caused by water.
- If you discover a concern, find its cause. There may
be underlying problems that need
a professional from Pella Windows and Doors to come out
and take a look, and any information is helpful.
- Clean out your window sills and tracks for dirt
and other debris as it may affect the
seal and operation of your windows and doors.
- While you’re taking care of your window sills and tracks, inspect
the weather stripping around your windows and doors. Re-attach or replace any deteriorating
- Test out the locks on your windows and doors to make certain that they are working
smoothly and correctly.
- Check the caulking of all your windows and doors as they help guard against air leaks and help protect your home from the elements.
If you’ve taken the time to walk through this checklist, you’ve checked your home for some of the more common concerns we see at Pella Windows and Doors. While some of these problems are simple fixes, please contact us if you have any questions about the condition of your windows and doors. Stop by our Decatur showroom, give us a call at 217-423-7722 or schedule an appointment with us online through our online scheduler.