Kitchen Remodeling Dos and Donts
In the past year, kitchen remodeling has been a top project for remodelers and it’s a great way to add value to your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before tearing out the cabinets and pulling up the floors. Follow these do’s and don’ts to achieve the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the appropriate way:
- Conduct research to ensure the contractor you’ve selected is qualified for the job. Browse reviews online, reach out to others for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor might be cheaper.
- Determine your kitchen must-haves—do you want your kitchen to be energy efficient? Have a particular finish or countertop material? Do you want to have high-tech appliances?
- Evaluate what an ideal floor plan for your kitchen would look like. Keep it functional and efficient with sufficient storage and countertop space that meets your needs and the needs of your house. What is the purpose of your space? How do you spend most of your time in the kitchen? Cooking? Entertaining? Gathering with your family?
- Keep all your receipts. Have them in a safe place to submit when filing your taxes or to use if you plan to sell your home in the future.
- Focus solely on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most important things about your new kitchen. Ensure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen working efficiently for years to come.
- Forget your budget! Keep on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are highest on your list. We suggest budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you imagine you’ll need so you can cover unpredictable costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to consider windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can tie in an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important parts of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they allow light into your space, set the tone for the room and provide you a gateway to the outdoors, which really feels nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are interested in replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our team at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 217-423-7722, check out our Decatur showroom or schedule an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you select the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.