There is a point every Decatur winter when you can’t seem to find the source of the draft in your home. It could potentially be emanating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed well. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and frosty, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help cut back and reduce drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts may be coming from and why. Here are some useful tips to find your Decatur home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Search for gaps and cracks in uncommon points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the typical windows with functional means and use a painless visual inspection.
- Inspect to guarantee that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket near the workable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Inspect the installation by verifying if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only perform as well as it is installed.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Decatur to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to address the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Decatur a call at 217-423-7722 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.