Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Decatur, IL?
Whether or not you are ready, the colder weather is hitting Decatur and you still have time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly inspecting your windows and doors will help ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on energy costs.
What can you do to prepare your windows and doors for colder temperatures?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris residing in windowsills or the moving parts on your windows and doors can reduce the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from coming back in the home when windows and doors are secured. It can become loose or torn over time, so take a look and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are torn.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can be harsh on exterior sealants and caulk. Remove the damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, such as cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps to keep cold air and moisture from find its way into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help to add an additional layer of protection from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate your home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home still has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you may be paying more than you should to heat your home. Our experts can share information about newer, energy-efficient windows and doors.
If you have additional questions about preparing your your home’s windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Decatur at 217-423-7722.